Can we Lesser Mortals find the ultimate Little Black Dress, without looking like The Grim Reaper ?
It’s that time of year isn’t it? We’re starting to panic about what we’re going to wear to “work do’s”. And even if we don’t work or have a full blown Christmas party to attend, we may want a new dress for New Year’s Eve, or something we can wear again during the year, when going out for a meal. How are you going to fit in finding one, when you have already starting to panic about buying presents for everyone? (alright Smarty Pants, if you’ve already finished and wrapped yours) What you need is some fashion advice from a trusted source, and who better than your Lesser Mortal Image Consultant. Since no-one spoke to me last week in “comments”, I have decided to do black dresses this week, alternative dresses next week, and maybe winter coats, and finally jewellery as ideas for presents (for yourself, of course!!) If you have any clothes you are struggling to find, either for your body shape or budget, feel free to ask. (comments box below) You can spend a little more on an LBD as they don’t date that much. And lastly, don’t feel sequins are only for Christmas – tone down with a leather jacket, or a coloured cardi, or flat boots. I tried looking in the cheaper shops, but frankly, I didn’t see anything that didn’t look tacky. Remember my moto – “It can be cheap, but it mustn’t look cheap!!” Any way, here are some suggestions….
- Merilee Sequin Dress. £149. Phase Eight. This fitted lace dress, has a waist band and gentle ruching over the tummy, to help disguise any lumps and bumps. Fully lined. 100% polyamide. Dry clean only. Size 6-20. Suits hour glass best.
- Amaris Embellished Dress. £149. Monsoon. Embellished with pearl, embroidery and gems, this has a draped bodice and floaty skirt in 100% polyester. Size 6-22. Dry clean only, Will suit pear shapes best.
- Indra Embellished Dress. Reiss. £125. Size 4-14. Viscose poly-urethane composition. Cool hand wash. Simple and eye catching, this would suit boyish best, and maybe some apple shapes.
- Patchwork lace dress. £235. Karen Millen. Size 6-16. 100% polyamide. Dry clean only. A beautiful lace dress which will suit boyish best, but some smaller pear and apple shapes may find it suits them too.
- Cath Maxi Dress. £119. Monsoon. Size 6-22. Draped jersey, which nips in nicely under the bust. Machine washable. Composition not given, but it looks like jersey. As this is a stretchy dress, it will suit larger busted ladies, breaking up the décolletage, and flattering the tummy area.
- Abigail long sleeve dress. £69. Monsoon. Size 8-22. 100% polyester. Dry clean only. This has flattering sleeves, and the length shows off skinny pins. If you think it’ s a little short, wear opaques and knee boots. Will flatter apple shapes best.
It’s really exciting to go shopping at the moment when all the Christmas decorations are out, but remember, if you are short of time, a Style Consultant can save you time, and financially can save you from making mistakes. Ask for vouchers for Christmas? Look at my website www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk for more details.
Seen on the Kashieka run way:ways to wear your LBD: Rappler.com
14 ways to wear your Little Black Dress: Fashionabout .com
Finding the perfect Little Black Dress for my shape: buttons blog