Can We Lesser Mortals wear metallics without looking like a Christmas turkey?
Last year I wrote about metallics, so it’s nice to know that a trend isn’t always a one season wonder, and you will get your money’s worth from items you buy. Image consultants and style consultants are usually able to steer you in the right direction, and save you money in the long term, so are a worthwhile investment. You’ll always get some wear out of metallics, as they can be worn at Christmas every year, but as they are currently a fashion trend, you can wear them during the day. My fashion advice, as always, if you want to avoid looking like an extra in a Star Wars movie “less is more”, and this applies the older you get, but also means if you are less confident about standing out, you can show you know what’s in fashion, but not draw too much attention to yourself. Below are some ideas:
- Isslay metallic houndstooth dress. £159. Ted Baker. Polyester, cotton, metalised fibres. Machine washable. Size 6-16. Suit boyish and pear shapes, but due to length, be careful if you have chunky legs.
- Midi pleat skirt. £45. Next. Polyester elastane mix. Size 6-18. Some great reviews on line, and the skirt drapes beautifully. Will suit top heavy, boyish, and some pear shapes as it should hang gracefully over your hips.
- Metallic cable trapeze jumper.£45.Next. Sizes 6-22. Petite, regular and tall length. Available in blue and silver. Cotton acrylic mix. Will suit apple shapes, tall ladies, and boyish. If pear shapes would like it longer to hide hips, buy a “tall” size. Petite ladies watch the chunky pattern doesn’t drown you.
- Metallic boxy sweatshirt. £65. Karen Millen. Sizes 6-16. elastane, polyester, cotton, viscose. Machine washable. With skinny jeans it will suit boyish shapes, but with wide leg trousers and A-line skirts, pear shapes can wear too.
- Leather Tanya handbag. £75. Coast. Leather. Comes in white with black strap. A fashionable clutch bag which can be used for lunch dates and evenings out.
- Brodie jean in Mulberry. £98. All Saints. SIzes 4-14 or waist 24-32″. A coated jean made in cotton, polyester, elastane, polyurethane. Very stretchy skinny fit, lowish rise and crop length. Delicate wash. Would suit anyone who normally squeezes into skinnies, but probably best on tall top heavy or boyish figures.
I’d love some feedback on your thoughts on metallics – would you wear them? Also do you like the new blog layout. Is it confusing? I may be experimenting with layout over the next few months, so don’t worry you’ve got the wrong blog!! Comments can be keyed on via the “comment” bubble at the end of this post. I can also be contacted via my web site www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk and via Facebook.
Sequins, metallics and shine trend: Lurch hound loves
So heavy metal is “in” again: Fashion tag