Can We Lesser Mortals wear a leather jacket whatever our age, without looking like Freddy Mercury?
Merry Christmas Lesser Mortals. I was wandering round the shops in “fashion advice” mode, and saw lots of lovely leather jackets. Forget the Sable under the tree, Santa (from the song – Santa Baby) – a nice leather jacket wouldn’t go amiss. Now a fair few of you will think you are too old for leather jackets, but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t put Helen Mirren off. And more of you will think they are too “tarty”, “punky” or “aggressive” looking. I don’t think so, and, would go so far as to say everyone should have a least one, as there are SO many styles and colours to chose from! Once you’re converted you’ll wonder how you managed without.
Now; I’m in another dilemma – about real or fake. Obviously, most leather jackets are a bi-product of the meat industry. I certainly don’t think torturing animals for fashion is right. But did you realise fake fur takes 2-300 years to biodegrade? Leather apparently breaks down in a few decades. But I’ll leave it to you to make peace with your conscience. Remember, if you have just spent a lot of money on a jacket, you are less likely to put it in landfill, and in the future, you can be pretty sure your kids will steal it when it’s vintage. Finally – if you are a savvy shopper, you will already have worked out which one you want, and are cunningly waiting till the sales – either winter or summer – to get one. They are a classic buy, so don’t tend to go in or out of fashion. Most styles suit most body shapes, and are versatile, as they can be worn unzipped or zipped. When they are unzipped, they can break up large chest and tummy areas. Here are some to give you a taste.
- Signature leather biker jacket. £450. Karen Millen. Italian nappa leather. Sizes 6-16. Pear shapes be careful. Suits boyish, slight pear shapes, and hour glass.
- Brezan bronze panelled leather jacket. £349. Ted Baker. Sizes 6-16. Also available in black. It has a central zip with gold zip detail instead of silver. This is a much less “hard” jacket, which will work over pretty dresses as well as jeans. The sleeves on this will be quite long, as the model is 5’10 ish. Suit apple, boyish, & not too large chested ladies.
- Sheena boxy leather jacket in green. £350. Reiss. Sizes XS-L. Thus will suit hourglass, boyish and some smaller pear or large chested women, but beware, the short length will make your body look shorter and legs longer.
- Pastel leather bomber jacket. £399. Karen Millen. Sizes 6-16. A fab jacket for spring, and cooler summer days. Don’t worry that you won’t get your wear, you dig it out, year after year. I’ve had cream one for 5 years, and still love it. Suits most shapes, but zipped up will make you look busty.
- Ultimate leather jacket. £175. Warehouse. Sizes 6-14. A classic longer length, less fitted biker jacket. This will suit pear shapes better, and ladies who want to make their bodies look longer.
- Matt black leather biker jacket. £160. Next Size 6-20. Less hard core as it has a matt finish, and an asymetric zip. Again, the longer length may suit older Mortals and more pear shaped ladies.
- Turin leather biker jacket. £268. All Saints. Size 4-14. I so want this jacket for the summer. The 3/4 sleeves will be perfect for hints of colour coming underneath, and it’ll be a real “chuck-on”jacket. Available in black and anthracite. At last a jacket where if you are petite, you won’t have gorilla arms! Will suit most body shapes.
Well, I hope I have inspired you to push the boat out and try something new. These leather jackets are perfect for city breaks – they don’t get dirty on flights, they can zip up to keep you warm with cardi’s on underneath, or can be quite cool if left unzipped. They look great with party dresses at night, and with casual jeans during the day. For more advice, you can contact me here, or book a one-to-one through www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk Also check out my You Tube. 3 leather jackets as ideas.
4 ways to wear a biker jacket: Not dressed as lamb
how to wear a leather jacket for every occasion: whowhatwear
20 style tips on how to wear a leather jacket: gurl.com
7 fashionable ways to wear a leather jacket: allwomenstalk.