Can we lesser mortals wear stripes without looking like a circus marquee??
Lots of people are afraid of stripes, in case they draw too much attention to themselves. Using my strengths as an “image consultant”, on a previous post on Jan 16th, we looked at how prints and patterns on garments can change the perceived proportions of your body to your advantage. Well, so can stripes. Garments with stripes on don’t have to be garish and in your face, but when they are bold, they can have a striking impact on your appearance. Still, if it’s all too much for you, you could always try a tonal stripe. I’ve lined(!!) some suggestions up to wet your appetite.
- Jude stripe dress. £99. Phase eight. sizes 6-18. Cotton polyester elastane mix. Machine washable. Perfect for hourglass.
- Blue and white stripe dress. £50. Next. Size 6-22. Cotton mix. This adds width over your hips to balance out busty women, (but comments on Next website are: that it is reasonably short, so you’ll need to be petite or have nice legs!!)
- Stripe fit and flare dress. £45. Warehouse. Size 6-18. Polyester elastane mix. Machine washable. The flirty skirt makes this great for pear shapes.
- Striped wide leg trousers. £50. Next. Sizes 6-22 in reg, long and ex-long. 100% polyester. Although polyester, these may be ideal for holidays because they don’t crease, and will dry quickly, if you are prone to sweating. Perfect if you want to lengthen your legs. Good for pear shapes and boyish shapes.
- Stripe V neck woven cami. £12-£20. Next. Size 6-22. 100% polyester. Will suit boyish, and apple shapes, and if your chest isn’t too big.
- Stripe casual jacket. £149. Jigsaw. Size 8-14. A brilliant jacket for creating an impression without much effort. Cotton, acrylic, polyamide mix. Dry clean only. Will suit pear shaped and boyish best.
- Stripes satin dress. £59.99. Mango. Size 6-14. Acetate viscose mix. Dry clean only. Will suit boyish and apple shapes.
- Aubrey stripe high heel. £80. Miss KG. Size 3-8. Will suit feet that want to look smaller.
- Ellie May stripe dress. £150. Coast. Size 6-18. Polyester polyamide mix. Dry clean only. This will suit boyish and pear shapes.
I hope these stripes have got you in the mood for some confident dressing. If you aren’t sure what suits you, or what colours to wear, a “personal stylist” can help to give you confidence. I work as a personal stylist, as well as blogging, and you can contact me here in the contact section of my website.
7 ways to wear stripes and make them work: all women stalk
10 ways to wear stripes on stripes: the glitter guide
The right stripes for your figure type: Hubpages
8 of the best ways to wear stripes this season: all women stalk