Here are some of the tartan “looks” from the Moschino catwalk for Autumn Winter 2013 and some of the trousers in the stores at the moment, the ones shown are Karen Millen. As a Lesser Mortal, frankly I’d get laughed out of the playground, if I turned up at school in any of these outfits. As well as the fact, I don’t live in the Big Smoke, I’m not in my twenties and am not as toned as I used to be. It’s actually quite hard to find tartan in this provincial city I call home, so whether we see more in the shops coming up to Christmas, we’ll see.Here are some lovely ideas, which are much more wearable, and in the stores at the moment.
1) Crawford skirt from Joules £ 49.95. It’s machine washable and is a cotton viscose mix. This style flatters most body shapes, and is a respectable length for We Lesser Mortals. Just make sure it’s not too long, or you’ll look like your granny.
2) Michelle tartan dress from Phase Eight £110. This is great for work or day time, and is made of a stretch wool mix fabric. It’s dry clean only.
3)Checked top with frilled sleeve Zara £25.99. 100% polyester and washable. This lovely little top, could be styled up with jeans or skirts for casual wear or for a night out. Very versatile.
4) This is my favourite dress. Check print dress £175 Karen Millen. 100% silk. This could be made very girly or totally rocked up with a leather jacket. Dry clean only
5) Check front knit Mint Velvet £79. It’s a nylon, angora, wool mix. Hand washable. The sleeves are 3/4. This is quite a subtle take on tartan checks for the more faint hearted.
6) Check chiffon mid length kilt, Top Shop £48. 100% polyester and machine washable. This embraces the trend for more mid length skirts. I would suggest a heel with it for We Lesser Mortals, or you might look like Miss Jean Brodie.