Can We Lesser Mortals wear fur without looking like the “honey monster?”
It’s winter again, and with it comes the spectre of cheap acrylic fur gracing the hoods of many bargain parka coats. I’ve written blog before about fake fur, because as a style consultant, no matter what the fashion is that year, I can’t stand scratchy artificial fur that looks like you’ll get an electric shock if you touch it!! This year there are some lovely fur items out on the high street, and they don’t need to look real. It’s fine if they aren’t expensive, and are all different fur lengths and colours. This year, I think some of the shorter haired versions are much nicer and softer. You can wear your fur item on a black tie “do”, but you can also sling it on over jeans for a casual “look” or even when you’re off to the office or on the school pick up.
Here are some I found in the shops at the moment.
- Wavy faux fur jacket. Next. £78. A very casual coat made of acrylic and modacrylic, it is very slim fitting on the body and sleeves with a funnel neck. Available in regular, petite, and tall lengths, and in sizes 6-22. Due to it’s slim silhouette, this is probably next for boyish figures.
- Longline faux fur coat. Dorothy Perkins, £59. 100% polyester. Available in port and peacock colours. Cream is available in petite and long too. Sizes 6-22. Dry clean only. Will suit boyish and apple shapes.
- Animal faux fur jacket. £35. Next. For those less keen on the flu on fur thing, this is more like a cardi with interest. It has a V neck to break up chest areas, and is soft and floppy like a cardi. Worn with the right shape bottoms, this could suit pear shape, top heavy and boyish figures.
- Faux astrakan jacket. £199. Ted Baker. Sizes 6-16. Acetate, polyester, cotton mix. Dry clean only. Again, a good alternative to a cardi. The block cut, means it probably won’t suit ladies with large chests, but will suit boyish, and depending on what you wear underneath and on the bottom, may suit pear and apple shapes.
- Jannia Faux fur trimmed gloves. £69. Ted Baker. 2 sizes available. colours: black, grey, navy, beige, and mid red. The outer is leather, and the inner a wool/cashmere mix. The trim is faux fur. These stylish gloves would look great making a statement with a black leather jacket.
- Navy long faux fur scarf. £20. Next. Acrylic, modacrylic, and polyester. Who doesn’t like a soft fluffy fur around their neck?
- Faux fur clutch. £50. Whistles. Available in pink, blue, black and leopard. 20cm x 33cm. 100% polyester. The classic black is not too scary for anyone at a New Year bash, or simply sitting on the table whilst you have a nice meal out with your partner.
It’s important for Lesser Mortals to look up to date, but not ridiculous. And there is so much fur around, that you won’t stick out like a sore thumb, but will look stylish and elegant. Since a lot is man made, you should be able to chuck it in the washing machine if you get baby food on you! Yes – you can be a stylish mum with a buggy! Hoping this has brought out the inner animal in you. If you want any more advice, or wish to comment, then the comment bubble underneath is good, or via my website www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk.
Top 50 faux fur coats: glamour.com
Did faux fur just become the biggest trend out there?: the fashion tag
How to wear faux fur vest: Fab fashion fix