Can We Lesser Mortals find lovely bras & pants & not look like 50 Shades of Grey?
So its February. ☔️ Still not feeling motivated to go shopping? Me neither. I’ve bought all the sale stuff I fancy, but I’m nowhere near motivated to buy any summer stuff yet. Consequently, now is a good time to go through all your underwear drawers and chuck out any bras & pants which are old and need replacing.
Why spend on something you can’t see?
Bras & pants are sorely neglected as it isn’t something which gets seen very often, and frankly, you kind of resent spending money on. As much as that is the case, I would say, that you feel unbelievably more confident, sexy, & powerful with a really nice set of undies on. I got some silk PJ’s from Xmas and I still feel satisfyingly indulgent when I put them on. And why not! We all deserve a little pampering.
What should go?
Any bras & pants which are grey(!!) but should be white, any bra which is on it’s tightest setting but you can pull a few inches away from your back, any bra which you don’t fill the cup, any bra which you over fill the cup (hello 4 boobs)
Additionally, any baggy pants, any pants you spill over the top, sides or bottom of, 😱 (remember – squeezing into pants which are too small for you, will make you look bigger than if you wore a larger size, which fits properly) any pants which are more appropriate for a hooker, any pants which are more appropriate for a toned, fit and slim body (unless you have one) and finally – fashions change.
What’s the secret to looking younger?
Keeping up with trends. Ok, you don’t need to get carried away – but anyone wearing a double breasted blazer & pearl necklace, is going to look older than someone wearing a bomber jacket ( and Mary Berry DID wear one on the Bake off) Since there has been a swing towards retro styles in clothing, & this has been carried through to bras & pants as well. Large burlesque style pants are very in vogue, and will flatter a larger lady or someone who is top heavy, whilst bras which are more longline or corset in style, can enhance your boobs or balance out large hips.
Since loads of bras have various levels of padding, you can choose the appropriate style to compliment your assets! (RIP chicken fillets). Slight padding in a bra can give a great shape to any size chest, as well as hiding prominent nipples. (did you know in America, having your “headlights” on show can be offensive, or, considered a turn on – take you pick). Retailers are shaping up (ho ho ) to “post surgery” or non wired bras, giving a greater choice.
Additionally there is the appearance of bra-lets. These are lacy crop top style bras with no support or padding. Often, they have cross straps or lace panels at the back. Not ideal for those who were over blessed “up top”. Can you wear them whatever your age? Since there is a big trend this summer for sheer fabrics, bra-lets may well solve the problem of what underwear to wear. Equally, leave a blouse open and flash a bit of lace.
Whilst they offer hardly any support, I suggest wearing a nude bra which will support your boobs, and then wear a bra-let over the top. If you are shy, wear the same coloured bra-let to match the sheer fabric i.e. grey bra-let with grey sheer top, black with black etc. Similarly, if you are wearing a strappy dress or top, a bra-let is ideal, as the straps are meant to be seen. No more see through bra straps or strapless bras. (see further reading below)
Matching bra & pants? Oh I think so.
Underneath is a selection of bras & pants which offer varying degrees of support. Embrace bold colours as they are designed to be seen. Don’t just stick to white and black.
After all it’s Valentines Day soon, and that’s the perfect excuse for new undies!!!👙
Good for boyish/athletic
- Lace plunge multiway bra. £38. House of Fraser Calvin Klein Various sizes 30 C- 36D Nylon elastane, wired, padded, moulded. Available in red, navy, black, nude. Some colours reduced.
- Seductive comfort thong £22 Calvin Klein Size XS to L. Only available in red at HoF
- Seductive Comfort hipsters. £26. Calvin Klein. Size XS-L Only red available at HoF. Some colours reduced.
- Guipure floral bra-lette. £18.50. Ted Baker at Debenhams Size 8-18. Polyester, elastane, polyamide mix.
- Guipure floral brazilian pants. £13.50. Ted Baker at Debenhams. Size 8-18 £13.50. Polyamide, polyester, elastane mix.
Good for longer bodies/broader shoulders
- Red Daisy Guipure non wired, non padded bra. £22. Next Size 32B-38DD. Nylon polyester elastane mix.
- Red Guipure high waisted pants. £14. Next Size 6-18 Nylon polyester elastane mix.
- Red Guipure light padded cami slip. £35. Next Size 32A – 38DD. Nylon polyester elastane mix.
Good for hourglass and big busts
- Rose print Phoebe longline bra. £20. Next. Size 32A- 38DD. Polyester nylon elastane mix.
- Rose print high waisted briefs. £12. Next. Size 6-18. Nylon polyester elastane.
- Rose print Phoebe DD+ balcony bra. £24. Next Size 30DD – 38G. Lightly padded bra. Nylon polyester elastane mix.
Good for pear shapes and boyish
- Janet Reger halterneck bra. £26. Debenhams. Size 32-36 cups A-D. Polyamide elastane mix. Underwired.
- Janet Reger dark lace brazilian briefs. £15. Debenhams. Size 8-18. Polyester polyamide elastane mix.
- Janet Reger lace bralet. £24. Debenhams. Size 8-18 Polyester polyamide elastane mix.
- Janet Reger lace bow Brazilian briefs. Debenhams. Size 8-18. Polyester polyamide elastane mix. Nice detail at the back.
Good post surgery with an option for larger busts
- Silk and lace post surgery bra. £27.50. M and S Size 32-40 A-DD depending on size. Viscose, silk, elastane, polyester mix. Full cup, non wired, padded.
- Silk and lace padded balcony bra. £26. M and S Size 30-40 A-E Polyester polyamide viscose elastane mix.
- Silk and polyester non padded bra. £26. M and S. Size 32-40 DD-G but running out of stock.
- Silk and lace high leg knickers £12.50. M and S Size 6-20. Polyamide silk elastane.
- Silk and lace brazilian knickers. £12.50 M and S Size 6-20. Polyamide silk elastane.
Good for very large busts
- Snake print non padded minimiser bra. £20. M and S. Size 36-40, cups C-G. Polyester polyamide elastane.
- Snale print brazilian pants. £12.50 M and S Size 8-20. Polyamide elastane mix.
Good for small/medium chests
- Lace bralet. £14.99. H and M Size 8-18, in black too. They have something similar with cup sizes and more support. This is lined, and no fasteners. Polyamide elastane.
- Lace backed super push up bra. £14.99. H and M. Size 32-36 A – D. Microfibre, padded and under wired.
Hoping that this has inspired you to get out of your bras & pants (!) rut and try something new!!
20 style tips on how to wear a bralet: gurl.com
3 ways to wear the bralet trend: glamour
How do I wear a bralet: herapparelintimates.com
underwear trends for this season you need to know about: huffingtonpost.com
How to wear a high neck bralet: gurl.com