Can We Lesser Mortals wear organza and only show our modesty?
Organza can be tricky for older women, or those of us with less than perfect figures And it can be downright impractical whilst juggling kids, shopping bags and supermarket trolleys. Do you trust your friends or sales consultants to give you the right fashion advice for your age? (or are they secretly having a laugh behind you back!) Will a sales person give the right fashion advice if they are half your age? Well, I absolutely think you can follow fashion whatever your age, and shape. It’s just the degree to which we do this, that’s the tricky bit!! Here are some affordable High Street ideas, which I think will suit Lesser Mortals.
- Organza jacket. Zara. £25.99. polyester cotton mix. In navy blue. Machine washable. Sizes S, M, L. What a great jacket for slinging on over jeans, or over a delicate strappy dress or top at night time. Pretty well suits any body shape, depending on what you are wearing it with. PEAR shapes with wide leg trousers or A line skirts, HOURGLASS with some thing that draws attention to your waist, BUSTY ladies leave open, BOYISH shapes with anything, or highlight your waist with a belt, and APPLE shapes need to lengthen their bodies with heels and long flowing trousers, or an empire one dress.
- Striped poplin organza blouse. £29.99. Zara. 100% cotton and polyester stripes. Machine washable. available in XS, S, M L. The back has a small split up the lower back. This shell top looks daunting at first, but for those faint of heart, a little vest top should help cover your modesty. Obviously, avoid if your bra/vest top causes any flesh to squidge out over it! The stripes conveniently cover your bra, and it’s not too cropped. As it is a boxy shape, it will make your chest area look bigger, so will flatter PEAR shape but make busty ladies too top heavy.
- Watercolour organza dress. £198. Jigsaw.100% silk. Dry clean. Size 8-14. The model is 5’10” so petite ladies will find it comes below your knee. It is longer in length than a lot of fashion styles around at the moment. As it is 100% silk, you can’t wear it too tight, or it will split at the seams. It will suit slight PEAR shapes and HOURGLASS. BOYISH will need to try on, as the skirt may need hips to fill it out a bit.
- Flower embroidered dress. £215. Karen Millen. 100% polyester. Dry clean. Size 6-16. A more demure dress for special occasions. Suiting HOURGLASS and BOYISH figures. The 3/4 sleeves are perfect for women who hate their upper arms. Middle aged women sometimes find showing arms a touch indecent but I think the length should be fine with tights.
- Sheer back T shirt . £50. Karen Millen. Viscose elastane mix. Sizes 6-16. Machine washable. Also in peach and white. I lovely floaty T shirt which can be worn during the day with a vest top under so it’s appropriate for work or school runs, but can be worn with just a bra at night time for a hint of naughtiness!! The colours reflect the pastel theme in fashion this summer. Team with dark colours (navy, berry) or try other pastels (whites, pinks, citron) or even orange!
- Collared neck long sleeve sheer blouse. Marks and Spencers. £29.50. Ivory. 100% polyester. Machine washable. Sizes 8-24. Hurrah, a top to cover all muffins and bellies!! It has an opaque panel over all the bits you may want to hide! And what can go wrong with white? (apart from ketchup, if you have kids)
If you are worried about wearing organza, ask me a question, or you can book a consultation with me. If you would like me to feature a particular trend you have seen, give me a comment and I’ll see what I can do. My faves are the Zara jacket and the Karen Millen T shirt. What are yours?
My Facebook page often shows me wearing different trends so you can see how a Lesser Mortal gets away with it.
If you like what you have seen, please take a look at my website or give me a call or text on 07976 635518
woman wearing organza jacket; gettyimages
Organza shell top: Fash Mob Blogs. scroll down to see the top.
Organza skirt: Imperfecti.
Organza blouse – I featured this in autumn! Chictopia.