Can We Lesser Mortals wear a pencil skirt no matter what shape, age and size we are?
Pencil skirts are a big fashion statement for Spring Summer 2014. Older women (i.e. over 30!) are often stuck for fashion advice, worrying about whether they look like mutton dressed as lamb. Of course it is possible to be a stylish older woman (and I don’t mean you’ve got one foot in the grave) and pencil skirts are a current fashion trend as well as being a shape which has seen the test of time – think 40’s war images, 50’s screen sirens etc. Don’t worry what shape you are – pencil skirts flatter hourglass figures, boyish shapes, curvy ladies, pear shapes and top heavy women. I would only be wary if there is a huge difference in size between your top half and bottom half, of 2-3 sizes. e.g you buy a size 10 top and a size 16 bottom. Also be VERY careful with knitted jersey skirts (T-shirt fabric), as they will show every lump and bump, and also make pear shaped ladies even more pear shaped. Go for a good thick woven material. Here are some of my favourites.
- Stretch Cotton pencil skirt. £99. Karen Millen. Cotton elastane. Dry clean. Sizes 6-16. Suits a boyish figure, as the peplum creates curves. See how the high waist shortens your torso though. Also hourglass figures suit this, as again the peplum accentuates your curves. Add a belt to remind people of your tiny waist.
- Stone Skirt. £35. Next. 100% tencel. sizes 6-22R. Suits a pear shape, as the contrast line in the middle draws attention towards the centre. Also, it needs to be worn with a coloured top, which draws attention upwards.
I love these 2!!! How summery????
- Modern Pencil skirt. £59. Boden. Available in stripes, florals and denim. In regular, petite and tall lengths. Sizes 6-20. Cotton elastane mix, and machine washable. If this is pricey for you, there are ALWAYS offers on Boden. Suits a top heavy lady, as the pattern draws attention downwards, and the slightly lower waist, elongates a short body.
- Flower organza skirt. £99. Boden. Available sizes 6-22 and reg, petite and tall lengths. Cotton polyamide mix. Hand washable. also in bubblegum and navy colours. With a matching top, you get 3 looks if you buy the top too. Suits most shapes, but petites will gain the benefit of appearing to lengthen their body and looking taller.
- Bryant Straight midi skirt in gem. Reiss. £120. Viscose elastane. Dry clean only. sizes 6-16. This is a very modern length – midi, which would be quite daring on regular heights, ridiculous on petites and fantastic on tall ladies!!
If you like what you have seen, please take a look at my website or give me a call or text on 07976 635518
Best pencil skirts : marie claire
8 ways to wear a pencil skirt: fashion.about.com
7 inspirit ways to wear your pencil skirt: who what wear