Can We Lesser Mortals expose our shoulders with out getting the cold shoulder from our friends?
Have you been out in the shops yet? I know…it’s still really cold – but if you have, you’d be forgiven for thinking the retailers are keeping their prices down, by missing out half the fabric in their garments. Oh Ye Heathens! – it’s a new trend called “cold shoulder” or “cut out”- probably derived from some retro archive, as anything not “retro” is frankly, so last year!! It’s a great trend if you don’t like your arms much, as you can flash a bit of flesh without being too “mutton dressed as”, and so it works for most age groups, without being too tarty. The down side, is that these styles tend to draw attention to, and widen, the top half of your body. So it’s not the best style for ladies, who are already blessed in the “poitrine” department. Lesser Mortals who were at the back of the queue when boobs were dolled out, well – their cups can now overfloweth ( and yes, I did intend a weak attempt at a pun!) as these styles will broaden their chest and shoulders.
I’ve tried to find an item that would suit all body shapes (even top heavy), and I am modelling my 3 ways to wear a cold shoulder top, here. I quite like the hanky top from Top Shop, but which appeals to you? Let me know in the comments box.
- Stripe midi dress DY191 collection. Karen Millen. £160. Size 6-16. Polyester elastane mix, dry clean only. This doesn’t have darts around the bust area, so won’t fit if you have big boobs. The stripes are slimming and there is lycra, so this will suit boyish and hourglass best. Also if you have a slight tummy, it should be slimming.
- Elina cold shoulder dress. £95. Coast. Size 6-18. 100% polyester, dry clean only. A much more subtle and flattering cold shoulder look for ladies that dislike their bingo wings!! A peak of the upper part of your arms instead. Best for hourglass, slight pear shape and boyish.
- Cut out shoulder blouse. £99. Karen Millen Size 6-16. 100% polyester. Machine washable. Due to the V neck on this blouse, bigger busted women will get away with this cut out style. Balance the shape with wide leg trousers or a full skirt underneath. Good for most body shapes.
- Chain print cold shoulder shirt. £40. Top Shop. Size 4-16. 100% viscose, machine washable. With just a hint of cold shoulder, this shirt will suit most body shapes, but is great for apple and top heavy ladies, who can leave it more open to break up the chest area, or belt it in to give definition.
- Cold shoulder stripe top/ £28. Oasis. Size 6-16. 100% polyester. Machine washable. This quite slim fitting top can be worn by anyone who would normally wear a T shirt, but it is best for boyish, pear and hourglass.
- Scarf floral cold shoulder top. £36. Top shop. 100% viscose. Machine washable. This boxy shaped top is best for boyish and pear shaped ladies.
- Able open shoulder jumper. £128. All Saints. Size XS-L. Wool, nylon, alpaca mix. Hand washable. Also available in quart pink (muted) and black. Although it’s a jumper, lets face it, it’s not always so hot in the UK. Great with skinny jeans, this will suit apple, top heavy, and boyish best.
Would you wear this style of top? Do you think you shouldn’t wear it if you are over a certain age? I’d love your comments, and as always if you have a fashion query, put it in the comments box and I’ll get back to you.
The key pieces that look good on all ages: who what wear
How to wear cold shoulder tops: Audrey Salutes
Cold shoulder tops – t they’re hot: fabulous after 40
How to rock the cold shoulder look: MissMalini
Cold shoulder top + ripped jeans: Style my dreams
How to wear cut out shoulder tops this spring: fashionsy