Can We Lesser Mortals wear this Japanese trend without looking like a piece of Origami?
Catwalks aside.. we all know following fashion to the extreme, can lead to some very embarrassing fashion faux pas. But this Japanese trend – does it involve rubbing nightingale pooh on our faces? Or hobbling around in a pair of “geta” (the flip flop things they wear)? Believe you and me, it’s hard enough teetering across cobbles in a pair of wedges, without handicapping yourself with a pair of knitting needles in your hair too. And that’s where my blog comes in to its own – no ridiculous “fashion suggestions”, just sensible High Street ideas – easy on the purse and easy on the eye. What do you think? Su-shi or not su-shi….that is the question!!!
- Helena jacket. £199. Monsoon. I think this is a bit OTT with the dress, but I can imagine the jacket working really well over jeans and heels. Sizes 6-18. Polyester, cotton metallic mix. Dry clean only. Great for apple shapes, plus tall ladies!
- Oriental belted kimono jacket. £45. Oasis. Sizes XS to L. 100% polyester. Machine washable. Very versatile, you could wear this as a cover up on the beach, or dressed up at night. It would work on just about all body shapes.
- Sakura oriental print jumper. £69. Phase Eight. Size XS to L. 100% cotton. Machine washable. Fabulous for cheering up a pair of jeans. Will suit pear and boyish shapes best, but other shapes will get away with it too.
- Honu demi drape bamboo top. £160. Whistles. Sizes 4-16. Not sure what it’s made of, but dry clean only. Perfect for ladies with bigger busts, and hourglass. You can team with the trousers below, for a jumpsuit look.
- Chantay rose dress. £120. Phase Eight. Sizes 8-18. 100% polyester. Machine washable. I LOVE the print on this dress. The sleeves are perfect if you are self conscious about the top of your arms. This will suit hourglass figures and boyish. Avoid if top heavy.
- Noronha bamboo culottes. £160. Whistles. Size 4-16. Dry clean only. Cool and floaty culottes, these will be great for tall top heavy ladies, and pear shaped ladies.
- Border print wide leg trouser. £36. Next. Size 6-22 petite, reg, long and ex-long. 100% polyester. How about these as an alternative to a maxi skirt in summer?? You don’t have to match with the blouse if it’s too over powering.Perfect for top heavy, and boyish ladies.
It’s a really distinctive fashion isn’t it? Different from the run of the mill trends. Do you think you’ll give it a go? Let me know, or send me a photo. For more ideas you can check out my Pinterest, Instagram, twitter feeds.
How to wear the japanese influence: Matchesfashion.com
20 style tips on how to wear a kimono jacket: gurl.com
How can I work the kimono trend: Ask the stylist
Summer ten: the kimono: thefashiontag
tips for wearing kimono sleeves: she knows.