Can We Lesser Mortals manage to wear metallics, without looking like a Barbarella throw back?
I seem to remember giving “fashion advice” that metallics were going to be in fashion, and wondering whether Lesser Mortals could wear them without looking like Christmas turkeys. Well if you did invest, good for you, because metallics are still a fashion statement this Spring Summer. I know a lot of you are wondering whether you can get away with it at “your age”. I think that as you get older, you will look younger if you keep following the trends. But whilst young twenty somethings can wear the whole look from head to toe, and look amazing, as you get older, you should wear less and less, until your twilight years when it might only be an accessory or trim that keeps you up to date. So this is a brilliant time to pick up accessories which will instantly update a pair of jeans and a white T shirt, and make you look like you are bang on trend. You’re not telling me you haven’t got a pair of converses or pumps in your wardrobe? And if you nip to the pub of an evening, why not have a metallic clutch or purse?
- Mini Pochette. £35. Jigsaw. In cow suede, leather trim, and polished metal. Great as a little evening bag on your summer holiday with your more casual holiday clothes.
- Maida Vale bag.£140. Boden. Available in other colours – navy, turquoise, orange and brown. Will smarten up a pair of casual skinnies and a T-shirt, as well as having room for all your bits and bobs. 100% leather
- Sophie wedge Sandals. £79-£89. Boden. Perfect if you want a bit of extra height, but don’t like heels or like to walk for miles. On holidays, I always come a cropper on those authentic rural cobbles…so these should sort that problem!! Size 36-42. In gold, navy suede and patterned. All leather.
- All star dainty metallic Ox Converses. £47. Schuh. Leather upper with moc croc effect. Sizes 3-8. Will work with leggings, jeans and skirts. You could wear with a really pretty floaty dress too.
- Henrietta pumps. £150. French Sole from Next. Leather upper. You don’t have to spend this much on pumps, but cheap ones only tend to last a season at most, and you run the risk of them smelling. Sizes 3-8. Next does other cheaper metallic styles too.
- Metallic back detail sweater. £22. Next. In white, silver, yellow and black. Viscose, polyester metallic mix. Size 6-22. This has 2 medium size cut outs in the back, to add a hint of sexy, but allow bra wearing!! A light cover up for summer.
- Metallic gold Asymmetric T shirt. £24. River Island. Size 6-18. Polyester elastane. Machine washable. As well as wearing with jeans, you could try belting in over summer skirt, or whilst it’s still cold – your leather skirt.
- Metallic layer T shirt £20. Next. Available in pewter and silver. Size 6-22. Outer is 100 % polyester over a viscose elastane vest top underneath. Again, an easy piece for slinging on with jeans, or smartening up with tuxedo style trousers and a smart jacket.
- 1971 Fava metallic shirt dress. £169. Reiss. Sizes 4-16. 100% polyester. Dry clean only. This will be best for boyish figures.
Hopefully some of these have tempted you. The accessories are so stylish and easy to wear, and the metallic tops are virtually non creasing. For a smart look, wear with heels, but equally, if you wear the jeans with casual boots/sandals or trainers, then the T shirts stay looking casual. Look at my “3 ways to wear” tab to see ideas for metallic T shirts and metallic skirts. If you want more help or want me to look at a particular topic, then contact me through my website. www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk
How to wear metallic accessories: inside out style
How to wear metallic fashions: everyday life – global
Heavy metal is in again: the fashion tag.