Can We Lesser Mortals wear denim without looking like a school caretaker??
In previous posts, I mentioned the revival of the 70’s style fashions. And this, of course, means denim is going to be wardrobe staple for the summer. Everyone has a pair of jeans, and this summer you wear them skinny or flared. You can dig out your old denim skirts, but avoid the Yummy Mummy look if you want to be on trend, and of course, you can wear a denim jacket. All of those are quite heavy weight for high summer, so I want to look at alternatives which may appeal to ladies who don’t really like constricting non-stretchy denim fabric, and may want something a bit lighter for summer. I particularly like the clutch at the bottom. Would you wear any of these? Am I catering for all your body shapes and budgets?
Did you know the words for denim and jeans, comes from France? One certain blue twill came from Nimes in France – “serge de Nimes” hence, denim, and jeans came from the word for Genoa – Genes – where the trousers were made!! Not just a fashion blog!!
- Dita tencel dress £40. Oasis. 100% lyocell. Size 6-16. Machine washable. Will suit hourglass and boyish figures best. You may get away with if you are a bit busty or apple shaped.
- Denim print soft sleeveless dress. £170. Karen Millen. Asked size 6-16. 100% viscose. Dry clean only. I think the tie-belt is not attached on the dress, so you can choose your own belt, or leave it off and wear as a tunic. Suit boyish best.
- 1969 tencel denim shirt. £34.99. Gap. Sizes XXS-XXL. 100% tencel. Machine washable. Suit apple and boyish best.
- Midge dumont slim shirt. £90. G Star. Size XS-XL Cotton elastane mix, machine washable. This will suit boyish, medium bust size, and pear shaped ladies.
- Denim paper bag skirt. £35. Oasis. Size 6-16. 100% cotton, Machine washable. This is tulip shaped, so best for boyish, and top heavy, but if you buy it to sit on the waist, hourglass ladies can wear too.
- Fairlawn blazer. £98.50. Jack Wills. Size 6-16. Polyester cotton elastane mix. Dry clean only. Suit hourglass, and boyish best, and some pear shapes can wear, but watch the hem doesn’t finish on the widest part of your hips.
- Kimney dress. £98. All Saints. Size 4-14. Tencel cotton mix. Delicate wash. How easy to wear this?? Suit apple shapes and boyish best.
- Clairmont clutch. £110. Whistles. 100 % cotton. Totally love this piece.
So let me know if you feel inspired to rush out and buy anything mentioned here. I like to think I am giving valuable information and helping you stay on trend and looking youthful. For a one to one, book me through www.vickysmithstyling.co.uk
8 do’s and don’ts of wearing denim on denim: stylecaster
How to wear the new denim: matches fashion
Trading in our jeans for denim dresses: Style.com
how to wear a denim dress: pop sugar